The Cleveland Clinic’s Top 10 Medical Innovations for 2020 include a range of discoveries and inventions that target age-related disease. Among the recently unveiled innovations:
- Antibiotic-embedded envelopes that encase implantable pacemakers, helping to significantly reduce infection risks.
- The dual-acting osteoporosis drug romosozumab, recently approved by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration.
- Biologics for orthopedic repair, derived from natural substances, which are generating increased interest amongst clinicians.
- Bempedoic acid, a new alternative to statins that helps lower LDL-cholesterol while avoiding side effects.
- The potential use of SGLT2 inhibitors, commonly used to treat diabetes symptoms, in certain types of heart failure.