According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an average of 430 people die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning each year. The death rates are highest among those older than 65 years of age.
In October 2014, there was an incident in a senior living campus in Michigan. Luckily carbon monoxide alarms sounded and there were no fatalities. But two units in the complex were found to have higher than normal CO levels. With the continued rate of this poisoning hitting senior living facilities, this is an issue the industry needs to address.
CO poisoning is entirely preventable.
You can protect your staff and residents by acting wisely in case of a power outage and learning the symptoms of CO poisoning. Below is a helpful infographic to share with staff.
Betty Norman, BSN, MBA, CPHRM, is Risk Control Director at Glatfelter Healthcare Practice, part of Glatfelter Program Managers, a strategic business unit dedicated to Glatfelter Insurance Group’s program business.