South Carolina — A cleaning crew’s chemical mixture caused a South Carolina nursing home to be evacuated in late November. 

About 60 people were exposed to chlorine gas after a member of the crew combined bleach and an ice machine cleaner. The mixture created a deadly toxic gas. 

Hazmat crews were able to clean the wing of the facility where the gas was exposed. About 20 people showed symptoms of respiratory problems and were taken to the hospital to undergo a decontamination process. 

Residents and staff members were able to return to the facility several hours later, according to local authorities. No one was seriously injured.