I am new to the field. Can you provide an outline of some of the information I need to report to the state?
As specified in 42 C.F.R. §§ 483.13(c)(2) and (4), the following alleged violations and the results of all investigations must be reported to the administrator of the facility, other officials in accordance with state law, and the state survey and certification agency:
• Mistreatment — (A definition is not provided at this time.)
• Neglect — Failure to provide goods and services necessary to avoid physical harm, mental anguish or mental illness.
• Abuse — The willful infliction of injury, unreasonable confinement, intimidation or punishment with resulting physical harm, pain or mental anguish.
• Injuries of unknown source — An injury should be classified as an “injury of unknown source” when both of the following conditions are met:
o The source of the injury was not observed by any person, or the source of the injury could not be explained by the resident.
o The injury is suspicious because of the extent of it or its location (for exampke, the injury is located in an area not generally vulnerable to trauma) or the number of injuries observed at one particular point in time or the incidence of injuries over time.
• Misappropriation of resident property — The deliberate misplacement, exploitation or wrongful, temporary or permanent use of a resident’s belongings or money without the resident’s consent.
Also be sure to check with your state’s specific regulations, as they might require additional reporting.