Use of walking aids and other mobility devices soaring, study finds
- People are living longer, and thus there are more of them around with the usual disabling features that require assistive devices.
- Heightened awareness about falls lending more acceptance to, and thus greater use of, the devices.
- More and more elders are living outside of institutional settings, where mobility devices are essential for safely navigating around.
- More and more seniors have decided to address nagging mobility deficits, and correspondingly consenting to use an aid.
- The devices are more socially acceptable.
- Changes in the environment have improved accessibility for those who use them.