A first-of-its-kind program is embedding technology in dementia care to reduce risks and improve patient outcomes.
Brookdale Senior Living is testing the approach in its skilled living facility at Brookdale Overland Park in Kansas.
“This is a unique skilled care and rehabilitation program, offering so much more than just a secured, skilled dementia care environment,” said Juliet Holt Klinger, Brookdale’s dementia care expert. “Everything about this new space is designed to improve outcomes for people living with dementia. From our specially trained clinicians to state-of-the-art, evidence-based engagement technology we have in place, our focus is on improving function and promoting well-being.”
New engagement tools:
- InTouch by It’sNever2Late, a 60-inch touchscreen system that helps enhance speech, physical and occupational therapy experiences.
- Eversound, a headset-based sound system that addresses communication barriers.
- S3 Balance, a device facilitating sit-to-stand transfers and exercise.
- LightWellness, a wireless system using LED lights for cognitive training.
- Arjo Nordic Relax chair, combining music, tactile stimulation and rocking motion to provide a calming, multi-sensory experience.
Recent physical renovations include the addition of a specially designed therapy space and updated resident suites featuring SafelyYou, a technology-enabled care program proven to reduce falls. Select suites also include cushioned flooring from Ecore, which is designed to prevent injury when falls do occur.