Chemical warehouse fire forces nursing home to evacuate
Nearly 100 nursing home residents had to be evacuated to public school cafeterias when a chemical warehouse broke out in a fire Wednesday in an Atlanta suburb.
The blaze at the BioLab Inc. warehouse, in Conyers, GA, fueled by 125 tons of dry chlorine pellets used to clean pools and spas, started early Tuesday. It quickly overwhelmed the warehouse's sprinkler system and spread beyond fire-resistant walls, according the Associated Press.
No one was seriously injured, but about 40 people went to hospitals complaining of burning eyes and lungs.