Ask the care expert

Share this content:
Sherrie Dornberger, RNC, CDONA, FACDONA, executive director, NADONA
Sherrie Dornberger, RNC, CDONA, FACDONA, executive director, NADONA
Is there a Web site or any place that advises where to get new Medicare cards if they are lost in a flood or damage to the building, and answer frequently asked questions people in my position might have?

Actually there is a new Web site developed by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. The address is:

It reviews seeing a doctor, getting prescription drugs, using in-network and out- of-network pharmacies, depending on what is available to you during an emergency, getting other supplies, having dialysis, getting chemotherapy, or other treatments, replacing a lost Medicare card, replacing lost or damaged durable medical equipment, like a wheelchair or walker, or diabetic supplies such as a monitor.

If you have questions or want more information about getting care from doctors or other providers, or about getting prescription drugs during the emergency, contact your plan. Or call (800) MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users should call (877) 486-2048. A customer service representative at (800) MEDICARE also can give you your plan's contact information if you need it.

You can also call your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) for free, personalized health insurance counseling.

Call (800) MEDICARE, or visit for your state's SHIP telephone number.

Next Article in News