Wild mushrooms kill two senior care residents

Share this article:
Wild mushrooms kill two senior care residents
Wild mushrooms kill two senior care residents

Two residents at an assisted living community are dead and more hospitalized after ingesting a soup made for them with wild mushrooms that were picked by a caregiver at their facility.

An employee at Gold Age Villa in Loomis, CA, harvested the wild mushrooms on the property and prepared them for residents, the Sacramento Bee reported. Police have said it was an accident.

In addition to the deceased residents, who were ages 86 and 73, the employee and three other residents were hospitalized. The villa is certified as a residential care home for six residents over the age of 60. A sign outside asked for privacy and no reporters, the Sacramento Bee reported. The California Department of Social Services is investigating.

There were 10 cases of serious mushroom poisoning and two deaths reported in California in 2009 and 2010, according to state figures cited by the Bee.

Share this article:
close

Next Article in News

More in News

Medicare rates could be adjusted for start and end of hospice care ...

Medicare payments could be adjusted to reflect how hospice services tend to be more intensive at the beginning and end, according to findings recently published by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Office of Information Products & Data Analytics.

Nursing home resident dies after allegedly being smothered by son

A terminally ill nursing home resident died after his intoxicated son tries to suffocate him, local police say. Roy Curtis, 86, reportedly died hours after his son was arrested.

Medicare should pay for skilled nursing services without a qualifying hospital stay, experts tell Senators

Medicare should pay for skilled nursing services without ...

The time has come to eliminate hospital stay requirements for beneficiaries to qualify for Medicare coverage of skilled nursing services, experts told a Senate committee Wednesday.