International aid group takes over Haitian nursing home

Share this content:
Elderly survivors of the Jan. 12 Haiti earthquake have begun receiving more assistance as an international aid agency has taken over operations at a Port-Au-Prince nursing home, according to reports from the devastated area.

London-based HelpAge International has assumed control of the Municipal Nursing Home's day-to-day operations, reports the Associated Press. On Wednesday, a representative for the aid group announced that it would pay roughly 75% of the nursing home workers' salaries for the next six months. The local government will be responsible for the remaining 25%, according to the AP.

Though conditions are still poor at the nursing home, there have been no deaths in the last few weeks, and the HelpAge representative said there were no urgent health emergencies. A local gang is currently providing security for the facility, according to an AP.