Minnesota Governor orders sex offenders be segregated in nursing homes

Share this article:

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty has ordered state corrections officials segregate sex offenders staying in nursing homes with the other residents. Pawlenty made this statement following a lawsuit filed last week by Attorney General Mike Hatch charging sex offenders living in the 94-bed Concordia Care Center in Minneapolis allegedly victimized women on a third-floor locked ward. He ordered they separate them as soon as possible.

Each year, the department sends two or three inmates with severe mental or physical problems to Concordia or Ah-Gwah-Ching, the state-owned nursing-care facility in Walker, MN, said Chris Bray, assistant corrections commissioner, to the Associated Press. Hatch said other kinds of offenders may have been placed in nursing homes.

Sen. Linda Berglin, chairwoman of the state Senate Health, Human Services and Corrections Budget Division, said that top officials from corrections and the Health Department and Human Services will be asked to testify about the placements at an upcoming committee hearing.

Share this article:

More in News

Also in the news for Sept. 22, 2014

ER support program can reduce hospital admissions among seniors, study says ... Researchers find defect that may lead to Alzheimer's ... Technical glitch may cause milions in payment delays for physicians who adopted EHRs

Enterovirus hits KY nursing home

Nine residents at the Heritage Hall nursing home are confirmed to have a strain of enterovirus, according to local reports.

AHCA applauds Senate passage of IMPACT Act

The Senate approved the Improving Medicare Post-Acute Care Transformation Act, drawing praise from the American Health Care Association and the National Association for the Support of Long Term Care.