Berwick blasts three-night rule

Share this article:
Berwick: Three-night rule should go
Berwick: Three-night rule should go

Add former Medicare chief Donald Berwick to the growing list of critics of a federal rule requiring three consecutive nights' stay as a hospital inpatient to qualify for Medicare nursing home coverage.

Berwick said he considered scrapping the rule when he was acting administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services earlier this decade. Providers hailed his sentiments, which appeared in the Boston Globe.

“We are encouraged by Dr. Berwick's public comments,” said AHCA President and CEO Mark Parkinson. 

CMS has proposed a rule saying inpatient status should usually be conferred for stays longer than two midnights. Congress is considering a bill to eliminate the three-night inpatient requirement entirely.


Share this article:

More in News

RACs collected nearly $2 million from skilled nursing facilities last year, report ...

Recovery Audit Contractors recovered $1.8 million in Medicare overpayments made to skilled nursing facilities in fiscal year 2013, according to a Congressional report released Monday.

OK nursing home worker threatened to behead colleague in a terrorist act, ...

Police in Oklahoma City have arrested a nursing home worker who allegedly threatened to behead another staff member out of solidarity with the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, according to news sources.

Jewish Home Lifecare named Innovator of the Year

Jewish Home Lifecare named Innovator of the Year

Jewish Home Lifecare won the top award in the Innovator of the Year category in the third annual McKnight's Excellence in Technology Awards competition.